Annie Hopkins, with daughters Adelaide and little Helen photographed on Huron Street in 1903. This is a great photo of ladies fashions at the turn of the century.
Pictured here are Mr. & Mrs. John McCann in front of their new home at 659 Ashwood after its completion in one day in May of 1916. Carl Mehring of the Mehring-Kline Company was the "boss" of building operations. A large group of tradesmen gathered to build this home in 12 hours. It was described as a modern house with five rooms and a bath. Star Line Films Company filmed the event with their movie camera and a thousand feet of film. The cellar wall and sewer connections had been made a few days earlier. The May 3, 1916 issue of the Toledo News-Bee carried a second story about this construction project.
The home of Judge Irwin I. Millard located at 1525 Huron St.
1302 Superior Street at Mulberry was the home of the Charles Melchior family according to the 1910 Polk City Directory.
915 Huron in the year 1935. Second Empire style. Built in the year 1887. Razed in 2007.
The American College of Music was located at 1207 Superior St. in this Italianate-style home.
In May of 1916, the forerunner of Extreme Home Makeover took place at a vacant lot at 659 Ashwood. Over 200 carpenters, 28 plumbers, 14 electricians, along with interior decorators converged on the site to build a house in 12 hours. The project was in honor of Miss Emma Plessner, the assistant secretary of the Real Estate Board, on her marriage to Mr. John McCann. The plan was to start work at 4:30 a.m., have Rail-Light turn on the electricity at 4 p.m. and lock the finished house at 8:30 p.m. The entire story may be read in the May 1, 1916 issue of the Toledo News-Bee.
Pictured here is the home of Mr. and Mrs. John McCann, at 659 Ashwood as it looks today.
The home of Owen J. Hopkins at 1330 Huron St.
Volentine Whitman Granger, the owner of Granger & Co. Tailors, lived at 1027 Superior Street. Now a parking lot for the Aurora House.
An interior view from later years of the Hopkins home at 1330 Huron St. showing Owen and Annie Hopkins.